- 1 What is the best time to plant arborvitae?
- 2 Can you plant emerald green arborvitae in the fall?
- 3 How fast does emerald green arborvitae grow?
- 4 How do you plant emerald green arborvitae for privacy?
- 5 What should I plant next to arborvitae?
- 6 How close to a fence can you plant arborvitae?
- 7 How deep do you plant emerald green arborvitae?
- 8 Do emerald green arborvitae have invasive roots?
- 9 How can I make my emerald green arborvitae grow faster?
- 10 How many feet do Emerald Green arborvitae grow each year?
- 11 How do you care for a newly planted emerald green arborvitae?
- 12 Why are my emerald arborvitae turning brown?
- 13 Is Miracle Grow good for arborvitae?
- 14 How far from my property line should I plant Green Giant arborvitae?
- 15 How do you shape an emerald green arborvitae?
What is the best time to plant arborvitae?
When to Plant Arborvitae
Plant in early spring when the soil can be worked or in the fall before the ground freezes.
Can you plant emerald green arborvitae in the fall?
In general, fall is the best season to plant shrubs (among most other types of plants, too). Fall planting of arborvitae will not put it at higher risk of winter burn, unless you neglect to keep it watered well, right up until the ground freezes.
How fast does emerald green arborvitae grow?
This tree grows at a slow rate, with height increases of less than 12″ per year.
How do you plant emerald green arborvitae for privacy?
I chose Emerald Green arborvitaes for my privacy tree. It’s recommended to plant them 3′-4′ apart to form a privacy hedge when full grown. I chose to plant them 3′ apart from trunk to trunk. You can also ask the nursery how far apart to plant your new trees.
What should I plant next to arborvitae?
Popular Companion Plants
Boxwoods are a great choice to plant alongside Emerald Green Arborvitae as well, especially for formal landscapes. It’s easy to work in a Wintergreen Boxwood square hedge in front of or beside your trees. This is an easy way to bump up the elegance and class of your landscape.
How close to a fence can you plant arborvitae?
The recommended spacing for Emerald Green Arborvitae Trees is 2-3 feet apart if you are using it for privacy. If you want quicker privacy, plant them about 2 feet apart.
How deep do you plant emerald green arborvitae?
Emerald Green Arborvitae Planting Instructions
- Dig hole about 2 inches wider and deeper than rootball of your tree.
- Place the plant in the hole a fill in with soil.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of lime around the drip line of the tree.
Do emerald green arborvitae have invasive roots?
Unfortunately, arborvitae isn’t one of the species listed, but I couldn’t find any indication that arborvitae is considered to have particularly invasive roots. The article recommends a distance of 25 to 60 or 70 feet from the leach field depending on the aggressiveness of the tree.
How can I make my emerald green arborvitae grow faster?
How Can You Make Them Grow More Quickly?
- 1 – Plant Them at the Right Time of the Year.
- 2 – Plant Them in Acidic Soil.
- 3 – Choose the Right Type of Arborvitae.
- 4 – Plant Them Correctly.
- 5 – Care for Them Properly During Winter Time.
- 6 – Make Sure You Water Them Properly.
How many feet do Emerald Green arborvitae grow each year?
Thuja Emerald Green Arborvitae can grow up to 1 foot per year, and grows nearly straight up. Pruning is extremely simple with such slow growers, and can usually be done just lightly once per year.
How do you care for a newly planted emerald green arborvitae?
When you first plant Emerald Green arborvitae, you need to keep the soil moist. Water when the top one inch of soil becomes dry. A good rule of thumb is to water once or twice a week for the first year. This plant is drought resistant and doesn’t have wet feet, so don’t over water.
Why are my emerald arborvitae turning brown?
Answer: If the south side of your arborvitae hedge turns brown, it may be caused by some sort of stress. It could be too little water, drying winds, high temperatures, injury to the roots or damage to the trunk.
Is Miracle Grow good for arborvitae?
Best Fertilizer For Arborvitae
We do not recommend using Miracle Grow on arborvitaes because it is designed for acid loving plants, not evergreens.
How far from my property line should I plant Green Giant arborvitae?
A Word to the Wise: Along with height and fast growth comes width, so before planting Green Giant be sure you can give up 8 to 12 feet to this plant. Don’t put it two feet from your fence, or even from the property line. And use Green Giants sparingly.
How do you shape an emerald green arborvitae?
Emerald Green Arborvitae do not require pruning, but trimming the leafy growths of branches in early spring can encourage thicker, denser growth. Some people prune Emerald Green Arborvitae into spiral topiaries. However, you should always remove dead and diseased branches as soon as you spot them.