- 1 When should a semicolon be used examples?
- 2 When should you use a semicolon instead of a comma?
- 3 How do you use a semicolon in a sentence?
- 4 When to use a colon or a semicolon?
- 5 What are some examples of semicolons?
- 6 What are the three semicolon rules?
- 7 Are semicolon tattoos cliche?
- 8 What words do you use a semicolon after?
- 9 What does a semicolon signify?
- 10 Do you need a full sentence after a semicolon?
- 11 How do you use a colon properly?
- 12 What is the correct punctuation for a list?
- 13 How do you use semicolons in a list?
- 14 Do I use a colon before a list?
When should a semicolon be used examples?
A semicolon may be used between independent clauses joined by a connector, such as and, but, or, nor, etc., when one or more commas appear in the first clause. Example: When I finish here, and I will soon, I’ll be glad to help you; and that is a promise I will keep.
When should you use a semicolon instead of a comma?
The semicolon is used when connecting two sentences or independent clauses. Unlike the comma, you do not use coordinating conjunctions, e.g., and, or, but, etc. A semicolon can also be used when connecting two independent clauses with conjunctive adverbs, e.g., however, therefore, thus, otherwise, etc.
How do you use a semicolon in a sentence?
Use a semicolon to replace a period between related sentences when the second sentence starts with either a conjunctive adverb or a transitional expression, such as for example, for instance, that is, besides, accordingly, furthermore, otherwise, however, thus, therefore.
When to use a colon or a semicolon?
Semicolons should introduce evidence or a reason for the preceding statement; for example, this sentence appropriately uses a semicolon. A colon, on the other hand, should be used for a stronger, more direct relationship. It should provide emphasis, an example, or an explanation.
What are some examples of semicolons?
Examples of Semicolons: Joan likes eggs; Jennifer does not. The cat slept through the storm; the dog cowered under the bed. Semicolons are also used in a sentence when something stronger than a comma is needed.
What are the three semicolon rules?
Three Essential Semicolon Rules
- Rule 1: Use a semicolon between independent clauses that are closely related in theme.
- Rule 2: Use a semicolon before conjunctive adverbs and transitional phrases that join independent clauses.
Are semicolon tattoos cliche?
Yes. Another one. It has become a cliche, a bore, a drill for us. We joke about the predictability and lament the fact that people can’t seem to come up with a more original symbol for suicide awareness — maybe, we hope, one that would be more interesting to tattoo.
What words do you use a semicolon after?
2. Use a semicolon between independent clauses linked with a transitional expression.
|after all||even so||in fact|
|as a matter of fact||for example||in other words|
|as a result||for instance||in the first place|
|at any rate||in addition||on the contrary|
|at the same time||in conclusion||on the other hand|
What does a semicolon signify?
But to thousands affected by suicide, the semicolon has become an important signifier of survival. Thanks to Amy Bleuel, the often misunderstood symbol has morphed from a simple punctuation mark to a badge of pride for those who struggle with depression, suicide, addiction, anxiety, and self-injury.
Do you need a full sentence after a semicolon?
But observe carefully: the semicolon must be both preceded by a complete sentence and followed by a complete sentence. Do not use the semicolon otherwise: *I don’t like him; not at all.
How do you use a colon properly?
- To announce, introduce, or direct attention to a list, a noun or noun phrase, a quotation, or an example/explanation.
- To join sentences.
- To express time, in titles, and as part of other writing conventions.
- Using a colon between a verb and its object or complement.
- Using a colon between a preposition and its object.
What is the correct punctuation for a list?
Punctuate the list items with commas if they are not complete sentences; with semicolons, if they are complete sentences. Use the same spacing for in-sentence lists as in regular non-list text. Whenever possible, make the in-sentence list occur at the end of the sentence.
How do you use semicolons in a list?
Use a semicolon between items in a list or series if any of the items contain commas. There are basically two ways to write: with a pen or pencil, which is inexpensive and easily accessible; or by computer and printer, which is more expensive but quick and neat.
Do I use a colon before a list?
Use a colon to introduce an item or list, if the list comes after a complete sentence or independent clause. For example: There are three things every dog needs: food, water and healthcare.