- 1 Is it bad to have a fever of 102?
- 2 Should I go to the hospital if my temperature is 102?
- 3 What to do when fever is 102 in adults?
- 4 What is the home remedy for 102 fever?
- 5 How do hospitals treat high fevers?
- 6 How high is too high fever?
- 7 At what low temperature should you go to the hospital?
- 8 How long do fevers last?
- 9 Why do fevers spike at night?
- 10 Do Blankets Increase fever?
- 11 How do I know if my fever is viral or bacterial?
- 12 Is it better to treat a fever or not?
- 13 What is the fastest way to cure a fever?
- 14 Is drinking cold water good for fever?
- 15 What should I drink for fever?
Is it bad to have a fever of 102?
Although it may not be comfortable, a temperature of up to 102°F is generally safe in adults. In fact, most healthy adults can even tolerate a fever as high as 103°F to 104°F for short periods of time without having any significant problems. Body temperatures usually return to normal once the illness goes away.
Should I go to the hospital if my temperature is 102?
Adults. Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher. Seek immediate medical attention if any of these signs or symptoms accompanies a fever: Severe headache.
What to do when fever is 102 in adults?
If you’re experiencing these symptoms, you should seek immediate medical support. You should also consult with your doctor if your fever goes above 102°F (38.9°C) or doesn’t come down within two days. You can try OTC medications, but you should be sure they won’t conflict with any other medications you’re taking.
What is the home remedy for 102 fever?
- Sit in a bath of lukewarm water, which will feel cool when you have a fever.
- Give yourself a sponge bath with lukewarm water.
- Wear light pajamas or clothing.
- Try to avoid using too many extra blankets when you have chills.
- Drink plenty of cool or room-temperature water.
- Eat popsicles.
How do hospitals treat high fevers?
Get Treatment for High Fever at Dignity Health
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), are options. Your doctor will treat any underlying infection if necessary.
How high is too high fever?
High-grade fevers range from about 103 F-104 F. Dangerous temperatures are high-grade fevers that range from over 104 F-107 F or higher (extremely high fevers are also termed hyperpyrexia).
At what low temperature should you go to the hospital?
If you have symptoms of hypothermia and a low body temperature (under 95° F), you should contact your doctor right away, call 911 or go to the emergency room. Hypothermia is a medical emergency.
How long do fevers last?
Most fevers usually go away by themselves after 1 to 3 days. A persistent or recurrent fever may last or keep coming back for up to 14 days. A fever that lasts longer than normal may be serious even if it is only a slight fever.
Why do fevers spike at night?
Why it’s worse at night: Body temperature rises naturally in the evening, so a fever that was slight during the day can easily spike during sleep.
Do Blankets Increase fever?
Do not put extra blankets or clothes on. This may cause your fever to rise even higher. Dress in light, comfortable clothing.
- Symptoms persist longer than the expected 10-14 days a virus tends to last.
- Fever is higher than one might typically expect from a virus.
- Fever gets worse a few days into the illness rather than improving.
Is it better to treat a fever or not?
Fever reducers treat a symptom, not the cause of an illness, and lowering your temperature may get in the way of your body’s normal defenses and actually prolong the sickness. Generally, a fever on its own isn’t dangerous and there’s no real need to treat it.
What is the fastest way to cure a fever?
Suggestions to treat fever include:
- Take paracetamol or ibuprofen in appropriate doses to help bring your temperature down.
- Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
- Avoid alcohol, tea and coffee as these drinks can cause slight dehydration.
- Sponge exposed skin with tepid water.
- Avoid taking cold baths or showers.
Is drinking cold water good for fever?
Drinking cold water lowers the body temperature and takes a fever down. Staying hydrated at any time is important, but when the body is in distress, using the cold water helps tremendously. Adding a squeeze of lemon and a little bit of sea salt during a fever can replace electrolytes that may have been lost.
What should I drink for fever?
Fever can cause fluid loss and dehydration, so drink water, juices or broth. For a child under age 1, use an oral rehydration solution such as Pedialyte. These solutions contain water and salts proportioned to replenish fluids and electrolytes. Pedialyte ice pops also are available.