- 1 When should you use ser?
- 2 Why is ser used for time?
- 3 How do you know when to use IR Ser?
- 4 How would you use ser in a sentence?
- 5 Do you use ser or estar for looks?
- 6 Is Ser used for location?
- 7 Is es ser or estar?
- 8 Do you use ser or estar age?
- 9 Is the date estar or ser?
- 10 Is Fui a ser?
- 11 What are the forms of IR?
- 12 How do you conjugate ser in the present tense?
- 13 How do you describe someone using ser?
- 14 How do you use ser and estar correctly?
- 15 Is Ser permanent?
When should you use ser?
When to Use Ser
- Use Ser When Describing People or Things. Ser is used for both physical descriptions and character descriptions or personality traits.
- Use Ser to Describe a Person’s Occupation.
- Use Ser to Talk About Relationships.
- Use Ser to Talk About Possession.
- Use Ser to Talk About the Time.
Why is ser used for time?
Ser is used to talk about time expressions involving days, dates, and hours. Hoy es miércoles.
How do you know when to use IR Ser?
“Ser ‘ means to “to be” when one is speaking about personality attributes, date and time, characteristics, physical appearances, possession, professions and nationality. Otherwise you use “estar” for “to be”. “Ir” means “to go”.
How would you use ser in a sentence?
Read and listen to these sentences with ser:
- Yo soy rubia. I am blonde.
- Tú eres médico. You are a doctor.
- Él es alto. He is tall.
- Nosotros somos hermanos. We are brothers.
- Mis hermanos son irlandeses.My brothers are Irish.
- Laura y Sarah son francesas. Laura and Sarah are French.
Do you use ser or estar for looks?
Use ser to describe what someone or something looks like, or what people are like – i.e., their personality traits. For example: Carolina es una chica muy guapa y además es súper simpática.
Is Ser used for location?
Let’s distinguish between origin, location, and “to take place.” To describe origin, or where something is from, use ser. To describe location, or where something is located right now, use estar. To tell where an event is taking place, use ser.
Is es ser or estar?
Ser is used in a simple way, to talk about WHAT something is (permanent state). To describe characteristics that are an essential part of the thing we’re talking about. Estar is used to talk about HOW something is, so we use it for conditions, locations, emotions, and actions (temporary states).
Do you use ser or estar age?
When not to use ser or estar: Age
In Spanish, to talk about your age, you‘ll need the Spanish verb tener. For example: English: I’m 25 years old. Español: Tengo 25 años.
Is the date estar or ser?
When we want to express data about days, dates, seasons and hours we use the verb ser (not estar).
Is Fui a ser?
Ser is never followed by a, but ir always is! Read and listen to these examples: Yo fui el primero de mi clase el año pasado.
|nosotros / nosotras||fuimos||we were/went|
|vosotros / vosotras||fuisteis||you were/went|
|ellos / ellas / uds.||fueron||they were/went|
What are the forms of IR?
What about ir?
|yo voy||nosotros vamos|
|tú vas||vosotros vais|
|él, ella, Ud. va||ellos, ellas, Uds. van|
How do you conjugate ser in the present tense?
Presente – Present Tense
- yo soy – I am.
- tú eres – you are.
- vos sos – you (South American) are.
- él/ella/usted es – he/she/you (formal) are.
- nosotros/as somos – we are.
- vosotros/as sois – you (plural) are.
- ustedes son – you (plural) are.
- ellos/as son – they are.
How do you describe someone using ser?
Use the verb ser with the adjectives to describe what someone or something is like. The form of ser agrees with the subject of the sentence. (we know the subject is tú) When the subject is singular the adjective will stay in the singular form. EXAMPLES: Yo soy inteligente.
How do you use ser and estar correctly?
Ser tells you what something is, the nature of its being, while estar refers more to what something does. You might use soy (the first-person present of ser, meaning “I am”) to explain who or what you are, but you’d use estoy (the first-person present of estar) to tell what you are being or doing.
Is Ser permanent?
Ser is used to talk about permanent or lasting attributes. If this general rule is too vague for you, think of the acronym DOCTOR, which stands for Descriptions, Occupations, Characteristics, Time, Origin, and Relationships.